Birth Injuries to the Mother Claims
Childbirth should be one of the highlights of a mother’s life, but if something goes wrong, it can cause a potentially serious maternal birth injury. When medical negligence leads to birth injuries to the mother, the solicitors at Gibson & Associates are here to help.
Our legal team is highly experienced in dealing with cases of childbirth injuries to new mothers, and we are here to help you make a legal claim against those responsible. We will advise you on how to make the strongest possible case, providing compassionate and responsive legal support at each stage of the process.
We understand how stressful and complicated it can feel to pursue a legal claim for a maternal birth injury, which is why we will always work to make things as simple as possible for you, with the aim of securing a positive outcome and helping you and your family move on with your lives.
Our maternal birth injury claim services
By getting in touch with us, we can help you to determine whether or not you have a strong case, and work out how much you could claim, based on your individual circumstances. From there, we will gather medical evidence and make contact with those responsible for your injuries, with the aim of reaching an early settlement or potentially securing interim payments.
Although our aim is always to resolve these cases as smoothly and successfully as possible, we will also represent and support you every step of the way if the case does need to go to court.
No matter the circumstances of your case, we will provide pragmatic, sensitive legal advice according to your needs. This includes providing representation for the families of mothers who have died as a result of injuries sustained during childbirth.
What are the most common types of birth injuries to the mother?
By its nature, childbirth places enormous stress on the mother, which means they could be at risk of a number of different types of injury during the process:
- Tears to the vagina or the perineum (the soft tissue separating the vagina and anus)
- Anal fissures due to straining during delivery
- Serious infections after the birth
- Internal bleeding, also known as haemorrhaging
- Placental abruption, when the placenta becomes detached from the uterus wall before the baby is delivered. This can starve the baby of oxygen and cause heavy bleeding to the mother
- Preeclampsia, a condition marked by high blood pressure and protein in the urine. This can lead to pain and swelling, and if left untreated can result in fits, strokes, organ failure or blood clotting disorders for the mother
These conditions vary in severity, but all of them can cause significant pain and discomfort, while the most serious can put the lives of the mother and the baby at risk.
How can medical negligence contribute to maternal birth injuries?
There are a number of ways in which birth injuries can occur as a direct result of malpractice or negligence on the part of the medical staff. These include:
- A failure to detect early signs of conditions such as preeclampsia or placental abruption, meaning the mother does not receive the necessary care
- Delays to a caesarean section delivery, which results in avoidable trauma or injury to the mother
- Incorrectly performed episiotomies, a procedure involving cuts to the vaginal wall and perineum, which can lead to pain and incontinence if mishandled
- Incorrect use of anaesthetics, resulting in insufficient pain relief, brain injuries or an allergic reaction
- Improper use of forceps or other procedures, causing injury to the mother and/or baby
If you or a loved one have suffered a maternal birth injury as a result of medical negligence, you should contact a solicitor to enquire about making a claim.
Our team is here to help you no matter where in Ireland you’re based.
What our clients say
Gibson & Associates LLP is one of Ireland’s leading law firms. No matter your situation, our team will use their experience to make sure that you benefit from the best possible outcome.
We put our clients at the heart of everything we do and work tirelessly to get the best results.
We treat clients and each other the way we’d like to be treated and for us “good enough” just isn’t good enough!
We’re fast and responsive
When you make contact with our team, you’ll hear back from us within 3 hours or less – that’s our promise.
We use clear simple language
We don’t try to impress with “legalese” and jargon. We use clear, plain language.
We give you a dedicated point of contact
The person responsible for your case will never change. You’ll be assigned a dedicated point of contact who will take charge of your case from start to finish.
At Gibson & Associates LLP, we’re clear about our processes and transparent when it comes to costs.
Before progressing any case, we offer a no-obligation consultation with our client care team and will provide you with practical options.
Integrity and transparency are core to how we work with all of our clients and means we’ll always treat your case as if it was our own.
Why Choose Gibson & Associates LLP?
We are one of Ireland’s leading law firms dedicated to using our years of experience to make sure that you benefit from the best possible outcome. We will be by your side throughout the process, using clear, plain language to explain your options and the next steps you should take.
You and your circumstances are unique – your solicitor should be too. You will be assigned a dedicated point of contact who will take charge of your case from start to finish – this person will never change.
Our solicitors put their clients at the heart of everything they do and work tirelessly to get you the best results. We treat clients the way we would like to be treated – for us, ‘good enough’ just isn’t good enough! Call us now on +353 (0)1 264 5555.